Monday, July 20, 2015

Fixed on You by Laurelin Paige
Narrated by Carly Robins

Publisher & Release Date: Self-published, June 24, 2013

Time and setting: Present Day, NYC, New York

Genre: Contemporary Romance/Erotic Romance

Length: 254 pages

Heat Level: 3 Scorching Hot Flames

Rating: 4.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description:

Stalking and restraining orders are a thing of Alayna Wither's past. With her MBA newly in hand, she has her future figured out--move up at the nightclub she works at and stay away from any guy who might trigger her obsessive love disorder. A perfect plan. But what Alayna didn't figure on is Hudson Pierce, the new owner of the nightclub. He's smart, rich, and gorgeous--the kind of guy Alayna knows to stay away from if she wants to keep her past tendencies in check. Except, Hudson's fixed his sights on her. He wants her in his bed and makes no secret of it. Avoiding him isn't an option after he offers a business proposition she can't turn down and she's drawn further into his universe, unable to resist his gravitational pull. When she learns Hudson has a dark history of his own, she realizes too late that she's fallen for the worst man she could possibly get involved with. Or maybe their less than ideal pasts give them an opportunity to heal each other and finally find the love their lives have been missing.
Fixed on You is the first book in a trilogy but ends without a cliffhanger. Due to mature material, it is recommended for ages 17+. 

Buy Links:



Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

I am not sure how I found Fixed on You, but I am certainly glad I did. This is the first time I have read anything by Laurelin Paige, but it will not be the last. This book is a compelling story of two wounded souls on a journey to find peace and hopefully a loving relationship.

Alayna Withers has an addiction to unhealthy relationships. When the new owner shows up at the nightclub she works at, she knows he is a dangerous man for her, and she wonders if she should be running the other way, when all she wants to do is embrace this gorgeous male.

Hudson Pierce is drawn to Alayna from the first moment he sees her at her school doing a presentation before the faculty as part of her final work to earn her MBA. Determined to pursue her, he buys the nightclub she works at; the very one she hopes to move into a leadership role now that she has received her degree.

Can a troubled couple—where neither of players can do romantic relationships—enter into a physical one and keep their hearts’ whole?

Ms. Paige has penned a compelling story that grabbed me from the first page and kept me avidly listening/reading to the end. Fixed on You is a trilogy, along the lines of the Fifty Shades Trilogy and the Crossfire Series, so I was prepared to not have a fully fleshed out ending. However, the book does end on a positive note.

Alayna’s character is intriguing and very well-written. I was able to get into her mind and feel her emotions, and I love when that happens. While her character has a lot of flaws, she has a touch of vulnerability under her tough exterior that comes through loud and clear. I found her an easy character to bond with, and I grew to love her by the end of the book.

Hudson Pierce’s character has a great many facets to his personality. While a great deal of his depth is revealed in Fixed on You, I feel confident more will be forth coming in the next two books. His relationship with his mother is definitely a love/hate one. Sophia Walden Pierce is, so far, a detestable character. I cannot imagine having her as a mother. It is amazing that Hudson’s sister, Mirabelle, seems so unaffected by what could only have been a terribly dysfunctional upbringing. This family has a ton of secrets, and I can’t wait to find them out!

Since I did listen to the audio version along with reading, I do want to mention the narration. While Carly Robins reads with a good deal of emotion, her voice tones for the male characters did not resonate with me, although, this did not keep me from enjoying this incredible book. However, the narrative did keep me from giving it 5 Gold Crowns. While the story is a solid five, the narration is a four at best.

If you enjoy a tale with complex characters with many facets intermingled with a love story that will reach deep inside you and pull at your soul, then Fixed on You is a book you will not want to miss. I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I have. I can’t wait to read the next book in this amazing series. Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment