Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Book Review: The Traitor's Club: Ford by Laura Landon

The Traitor’s Club: Ford by Laura Landon



Publisher & Release: Kindle Press, May 30, 2017

Time and setting:  1857, London

Genre: Historical Romance/Victorian

Book Length:  122 pages

Heat Level: Mild

Rating: 3.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

Captain Fordham Remington has survived countless dangerous missions fighting the foreign enemies of the Queen while maintaining his cover as a traitor to the Crown. Now he undertakes the far less threatening assignment of finding out who is stealing from Her Majesty’s shipping company, and nearly gets himself killed.

Lady Calinda Barclave has worked alongside her grandfather, Admiral Barclave, to run Her Majesty’s Crown Shipping Company for four years. When she’s unable to discover who is behind the company’s shortage in profits, she turns to the dashing Captain Remington for help. But when she discovers his betrayal, she realizes she’s lost the shipping company she loves. And her heart along with it.

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

I have been a fan of Laura Landon for many years, so when I discovered The Traitor’s Club: Ford on Net-Galley I just had to read it! Thanks go to the publisher for allowing me to read and review prior to publication.

The Traitor’s Club: Ford is a lightning-fast-paced novella, which I read so fast, at times, I wish it had slowed down a bit. Since this is a novella, I missed the deep level of emotion usually found in one of Ms. Landon’s books. That is not to say it was too superficial, but just did not have the emotionally-charged story I have come to expect from this author.

Lady Calinda Barclave was disappointed in love in the past and is determined to never suffer that loss again. When she meets Ford Remington, she tries to ignore the immediate attraction she feels for him. 

Fordham Remington spied for Her Majesty during the Crimean War, a bloody and brutal conflict. The queen needs his service. While he does not want to put his life on the line yet again, the prize offered will help so many of his less fortunate comrades who suffered from the war, so he reluctantly accepts.

Ford quickly finds himself losing his heart to the woman he is investigating. While he may not lose his life in the queen’s service this time, he may lose the love of this astonishing woman when she learns of his deception.

Calinda is a likeable heroine, but I would have liked more depth. Since this book is so short, the character development was not deep. Nonetheless, I did have a glimpse of her strong family connections, which helped me become vested in her.

Ford is a hero I could love, but again I would have liked more emotion from his character, so I never fully fell in love with him. I did enjoy his loyalty to his brothers-in-arms, and his strong desire to help the widows and orphans left destitute.


If you are looking for a quick read with a good deal of action, and a clean and wholesome romance, then you will enjoy The Traitor’s Club: Ford. While this book is not my favorite by Ms. Landon, it did keep me engaged. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment