Thursday, March 3, 2016

Retro Book & Audio Review: In my Wildest Fantasies by Julianne MacLean

In My Wildest Fantasies by Julianne MacLean



Publisher & Release Date: HarperCollins Publishers, October 3, 2009

Time and setting: 1870, England

Genre: Historical Romance/Victorian

Length:  383 pages

Heat Level: 2 Flames

Rating: 5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

She was just a girl when the future duke saved her from certain tragedy.

But his search for a suitable bride will end with a swift seduction that makes her every inch a woman.

Four years ago, a mesmerizing stranger pulled Lady Rebecca Newland from her runaway coach, galloping to her rescue in a fog-shrouded forest. Though she was just seventeen, Rebecca felt an irresistible desire for the mysterious man and swore that she would someday be his bride. But now she is betrothed to another man whom she detests - and Devon Sinclair, the future Duke of Pembroke and her hero, lies tantalizingly beyond her reach...

Haunted by an unspeakable past, Devon has no intention of taking a wife, not even the enticing Rebecca. But then his father rules that Devon must wed by Christmas or forfeit his rightful inheritance. Now, with his fortune at stake, Devon sets out to lure Rebecca to his bed... where the most unexpected secrets and lies stand in the way of their scandalous, explosive passion.

Buy Links:



Add to Goodreads:


Vikki's Musings

I recently discovered Julianne MacLean’s marvelous books. I actually read/listened to Married by Midnight first, not realizing it was part of this incredible series. Needless to say, once I finished Book 4, I had to go back and read the rest. In my Wildest Fantasies is an absolutely a fabulous book!

Ms. MacLean writes emotionally-charged romances that will wring your heart dry. Her characters are unforgettable and her storyline is intriguing with plenty of plot twists. The development of the romance had me doing a happy dance!

Lady Rebecca Newland is a wonderful heroine, and I fell in love with her from the first page. She exhibits all the characteristics I most love. The anguish she feels brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. What I loved most was her compassionate, giving heart. The patience she shows is astonishing. She is the perfect match for Devon.

Devon Sinclair, Lord Hawthorne is my favorite kind of hero. He is brave, fearless and determined to accomplish his father’s wishes, even though marriage is the last thing he wants. Of course as the heir to a dukedom, he always knew he would have to marry, but he did not want an emotional entanglement. He wanted a business arrangement where his future duchess would fulfill the role in a circumspect manner and not expect professions of love. He gets the exact opposite with Rebecca. She manages to tear down the brick wall surrounding his heart.

The sexual tension between Rebecca and Devon jumps off the page and the love scenes are concentrated more on the emotions of the sexual act, than where part A and part B go. I thoroughly enjoyed them and could live vicariously through the characters, and is that not what we readers want?

The Victorian age is not my first love, but Ms. MacLean was able to paint such a vivid picture of the dress and environment, she quite transported me back in time. Her startling descriptions of the palace gave me a fantastic visual of the magnificent home.

Oh, and I must mention the incredible narrator. Rosalyn Landor is absolutely fantastic. She reads with deep emotion and truly brings the characters to living breathing life. Her ability to give each character their own distinctive voice is amazing. I know whenever she is the narrator I am in for a treat!


If you enjoy a romance in a historical setting with a moving plot and amazing characters, then you will love In my wildest Fantasies as much as I did. I can’t wait to read/listen to the other books in this series. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment