Friday, May 17, 2019

Book Review: The Dark Bones by Loreth Anne White

The Dark Bones by Loreth Anne White



Publisher & Release: Montlake Romance, May 21, 2019

Time and setting:  Present Day, Northwest Canada

Genre: Romantic Thriller

Book Length:  440 Pages

Heat Level: 1 Flame

Rating: 5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

She’s come back to solve the mystery of her father’s death and confront her own dark past.
When Detective Rebecca North left her rural hometown, she vowed never to return. Her father’s apparent suicide has changed that. The official report is that retired cop Noah North shot himself, knocked over a lantern, and set his isolated cabin ablaze. But Rebecca cannot believe he killed himself.
To prove it, she needs the help of Ash Haugen, the man she left behind. But Rebecca and Ash share more than broken hearts. Something darker lies between them, and the investigation is stirring it back to life. Clues lead them to the home of Olivia West and her deeply troubled twelve-year-old daughter, Tori. The child knows more about the murder than anyone can imagine, but she’s too terrified to say a word.
And as a cold-blooded killer resurfaces from the past, Rebecca and Ash begin to fear that their own secrets may be even harder to survive.

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

Wow, just wow! What a fantastic read. This is a new Romantic Thriller by Loreth Anne White. Thanks goes to the publisher for the opportunity to read and review in advance 0f publication. My opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way.

The Dark Bones grabbed my interest from the first page, and I remained enthralled to the last. It’s an extremely fast paced novel, and I was totally surprised when I realized it was 440 pages long. The characters are compelling, and the plot is full of plenty of bone chilling suspense. This is definitely a thriller!

Rebecca North’s character returns when she learns of her father’s passing from an apparent suicide. This does not sit well with her because she’d talked to him shortly before his death, and he was following a lead that involves the disappearance of two people twenty years before. Her first love is involved as well. 

I loved Rebecca’s determination to exonerate her father and restore his dignity. She starts her own investigation into her father’s death and quickly determines it’s no suicide. I loved her strong sense of right and wrong. When she realizes Ash must be part of her search for the truth, she pushes aside her heart break over what he did so long ago for the good of her investigation.

Ash Haugen is an interesting hero with a great deal of hidden pain. He regrets hurting Rebecca, the only woman he’s ever loved. I loved his humble attitude and determination to help Rebecca, even though it causes him a huge amount of remorse and guilt. I loved his willingness to protect Ricky, the thirteen-year-old who has little to no stability in his life. 

The romantic element is excellent. I really wanted Rebecca and Ash to find their way back to the love they’d shared as teenagers. The bond between them is incredibly strong and very believable. 

The mystery in this chilling tale is intense and intriguing. It’s certainly a page turner and kept me glued to my Kindle. The climax is fantastic and so worth the wait. The villains are evil, and Ms. White holds them close to her chest. I love it when I’m surprised when I learn who is behind the gruesome events that unfold.

If you enjoy romantic thrillers with deep, dark secrets, with amazing characters and plenty of bone-chilling moments, then you will loveThe Dark Bones as much as I. Ms. White is one of my favorite suspense authors. When a book of hers comes available, I don’t even have to read the book description to know I want to read it. Happy reading!




No comments:

Post a Comment