Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Book and Audio Review: Must Love Chainmail by Angela Quarrels

Must Love Chainmail by Angela Quarles



Publisher & Release Date: Self-published, July 14, 2015  

Time and setting: Present day and 1294, Wales

Genre: Paranormal Romance/Medieval

Length: 280 pages

Heat Level: 2 Flames

Rating: 3.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description:

Trapped in the wrong time, she needs a knight in shining armor, but this damsel in distress might be the real savior.

A damsel in distress...

With a day planner attached to her hip, the last thing Katy Tolson wants is a romance that threatens her well-ordered life. She's set to marry the safe--but bland--guy, but something's not quite...right. A careless wish thrusts her through time into medieval Wales and into the arms of...

A knight in somewhat shining armor...

Sir Robert Beucol, half-Norman and half-Welsh, lives with the shame of his father's treason and vows to reclaim his family's holdings and thereby his honor. To prove himself to his king, he must be more Norman than a full-blooded Norman. What better way to show loyalty than to fight his mother's people? He has no desire to be sidetracked by the mysterious wench with pink toenails, peculiar habits, and passion smoldering behind her cool, collected exterior.

A rebellion that challenges both...

The Welsh uprising fits perfectly into Robert’s plans. Katy’s on the other hand? That’s a no. As they embark on a perilous journey through the heart of Wales, each passionate encounter pulls them closer together, but farther from their goals. When everything they value is at stake, can they save each other and their love?

Buy Links:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

Must Love Chainmail has earned 1st place in the 2016 Rita Awards for the paranormal category. In case some readers do not know, the Rita is the contest run by Romance Writers of America and is the most prestigious contest a writer can win. I looked forward to reading it with great anticipation. I love time-travel romances and have read them for many years. The story started out well, and I enjoyed the hero and the heroine, but it slowed for me. I can't even put my finger on what exactly stopped working for me.

I do want to mention I listened to the audio version performed by Mary Jane Wells, and she does a credible job. She reads with just the right amount of emotion without taking it too far, and she gives each character a distinct voice. I would listen to her again.

Nonetheless, it does end up having a great ending, which did help redeem this book for me. On further contemplation as I write this review, I'm thinking what kept taking me out of the story was the modern feel to the writing. I absolutely love historical romances, and what I like most about them is being swept back to a different time. I was constantly reminded of the present, and not because the heroine came from the present and traveled back in time.

Perhaps this will not bother other readers, and the author does include a note letting the reader know she has written Must Love Chainmail in this manner. Obviously, this aspect of the book did not bother the Rita judges, or the majority of readers as it did me. Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment