Monday, April 18, 2016

Book & Audio Review: 50 Acts of Kindness by Ellyn Oaksmith

50 Acts of Kindness by Ellyn Oaksmith



Publisher & Release: Gemma Halliday Publishing, May 17, 2015

Time and setting: Present Day, NYC, North Carolina

Genre: Contemporary Romance/Women’s Fiction

Length:  294 pages

Heat Level: 2 Flames

Rating:

Story: 3.5 Gold Crowns

Narration: 4.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

Being overly kind isn't in Kylie Harrow's nature. This has never been more evident than when Kylie vents her frustrations to an innocent employee—and the whole scene is posted online, tanking her career and earning her the dubious distinction of "World's Worst Boss." But when she flees home to the South, Kylie finds her childhood home has changed. The high school quarterback is now the hot and handsome sheriff. Her mother has turned her home into a nudist colony. And worst of all, having heard about her daughter's exploits, her mother won't let her in the door until Kylie completes fifty kind acts in fifty days.

The task seems easy enough at first—and may even help repair her media image—but it quickly turns into a hilarious quest that leads Kylie down a bumpy road filled with new challenges. What started as a gimmick to save her career evolves into a mission to save a spunky old woman and her little dog from homelessness. As Kylie learns about the nature of kindness, she finds the path to happiness and, for the first time ever, maybe even love.

Buy Links:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

This is the first time I have read a book by this author, but it is not the first time I have listened to Wendy Rich Stetson. When she asked me to listen to 50 Acts of Kindness, I agreed, even though, the book is not my usual type of read. As always, Ms. Stetson delivers a another stellar performance with this book.

The story:

While I struggled to like Kylie, her character did keep me on my toes and interested in what the next outlandish thing she would do. Underneath her tough exterior, I was able to find some redeeming characteristics.

I did like Chet, the sheriff, quite a lot. He has many qualities I enjoy in a hero. I also liked his determination to not give into lust, even though he found Kylie very attractive. That is not something you find in many romances.

This is definitely Chick-Lit with romantic elements. While it is quite humorous throughout the book and had me laughing out loud several times, it did go over the top a few times. The bottom line for me was Kylie’s unlikable character. Even at the very end, I still didn’t truly warm up to her. I also did not feel a strong sense of attraction between Kylie and Chet. Nonetheless, I did enjoy this book, and I’m glad I had the opportunity to read it.

Narrative:

Wendy Rich Stetson does an outstanding job with this one. Her narrative always brings the characters to life. She did a fabulous job with the multitude of secondary characters, especially the cantankerous Margaret. I marvel at her ability to give so many characters a distinctive voice. If you enjoy a narrator who reads with plenty of emotion, then you will love Ms. Stetson. It’s truly a delight to listen to her performance.


If you enjoy romantic comedy with a zany heroine, and a book with plenty of action, along with an adorable animal that almost steals the show, then you will want to read 50 Acts of Kindness. The moral of the story alone makes it worth your time. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment