Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Lord of Fire Wytchfae 5 by Flossie Benton Rogers





When The Hawk meets his Wytchfae, the result is spontaneous combustion. 

Garnet McAnna chases the demon responsible for attacking and enslaving innocent fae familiars. She never expected to run headlong into a mesmerizing stranger known as The Hawk. Nor did she anticipate the way his masculine power kindles a womanly flame within her. 

Exiled from an elite warrior's brigade, Lord of Fire Gabriel Hawk guards his heart and his solitude. He wants nothing to do with the world of men or the realm of fae. Then a beautiful Wytchfae bursts into his life, stirring desire and sparking need. Garnet is on a dangerous mission, and he can't let her face the evil alone. What else can he do but fight beside her? When she disappears, he raises hell to find her. Will he be too late? Will darkness conquer this couple or will love burn their souls into one?

Published & Release Date: Secret Cravings Publishing, October 27, 2014

Time and setting: Present Day 

Genre: Paranormal Romance

Heat Level: 1

Rating: 4 Gold Crowns

Vikki’s Musings

When I was approached by the author asking me to review her book, I was not sure, but decided to take a chance. I do not read very many paranormal romances as a general rule, and rarely books about Fae people. I must say I am pleasantly surprised. Ms. Rogers writes a fascinating tale filled with plenty of action and adventure. The beginning of the story dropped me right into the middle of a fight with a demon and kept me entertained until the end.

Garnet McAnna is a wytchfae, and she is in pursuit of the demon, Borros, who is capturing familars to sell on the black market, when she comes across Gabriel Hawk, a Lord of Fire. The Hawk agrees to help her stop the demon. Borros shows up, carrying an unconscious woman over his shoulder and his cohort is leading two other people, a girl and a male familiar. Gabriel Hawk jumps in front of Borros taking the stance of a warrior. He demands Borros hand over his captives. The demon laughs and tells Hawk that he is no longer a warrior of Helios. The Hawk tells Borros that he can still toss a fireball and send him to hell. A fight ensues. While The Hawk is able to rescue the captives, Borros escapes.

Gabriel and Garnet form an alliance to follow the demon through the portal. Before they can do this, Garnet must take the familars to her friend. While separated, Borros captures Garnet. Will Hawk be able to save her from the demon’s evil clutches, or will Borros win?

Flossie Benton Rogers does an outstanding job with world building. I could picture in my mind what the other dimension looked like from her vivid description. She writes exciting action scenes with enough detail to please this reader. I thoroughly enjoyed the travel back in time to medieval times, which is definitely an unexpected direction to the story.

Now what did not work for me. I would have liked a bit more was more romance between the hero and the heroine. The story moves along at a lightning pace, so there is not much time for Garnet and Hawk to fall in love. I do understand that it is a short novella, but I feel that the author could have devoted a little more time to build the romance. There is decent chemistry between the pair, just not enough interaction, since Garnet keeps getting captured.   

Nonetheless, the book is well-written with great pacing. It is an easy read, and I was able to finish it in a couple of hours. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a story with a lot of action and danger. There are other books in this series, so I do think I will check them out. Happy reading!  


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Vikki. I appreciate your taking the time to read and review Lord of Fire. I'm so glad you liked it. Happy reading! http://flossiebentonrogers.com

    ReplyDelete