Saturday, September 1, 2018

Book Review: The Wrong Man by Natasha Anders

The Wrong Man by Natasha Anders


Publisher & Release: Montlake Romance, September 4, 2018

Time and setting:  Present Day, South Africa

Genre: Contemporary Romance

Book Length:  336 Pages

Heat Level: 2 Flames

Rating: 3 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

No commitments. No expectations. No way this could possibly go wrong…right?
Former special-ops soldier Sam Brand is used to getting what he wants. What he wants is to unbutton the buttoned-down, sweet, and shy Dahlia McGregor. He’s hot to find her wild side. She’s eager to let him explore it. So he makes his proposition—no strings, no hurt feelings, and no promises—save for one: she’ll have the time of her life.
After a broken engagement, Lia’s looking to someday find the right man and settle down. That’s some day. Now it’s all about the night. A hot, meaningless fling with a magnificently weathered blue-eyed stud like Sam couldn’t hurt: he’s sexy, and sure he’s arrogant, but best of all, he’s here. In other words, he’s perfect…for now.
But when Sam is wounded in the line of duty and left in Lia’s tender loving care, all bets are off. Because the more time they spend together, the more it becomes clear: this “one night” deal is getting steamier and lasting longer than they counted on. It started as a fun little game. Is it possible they could be playing for keeps?

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

This is the third book in the Alpha Men series. I read the first one, The Wing Man, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so when I received an invitation from the publisher, via Net-Galley, to read and review in advance of publication, I accepted. My opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way.

The Wrong Man is certainly titled correctly. The hero does not fit any of the desires of the heroine. I know opposites attract, but in this case, I believe they are too different. The writing flows well and the pacing, while a little slow, did not truly drag. My main issue with this book are the unlikeable hero and the doormat heroine.

Dahlia Mc Gregor’s character is way too ordinary and just too nice. She has no back-bone, even allowing a jerky date a second thought when she clearly does not even like the guy. She gives into everyone, especially Sam. While I normally love a nurturer, Dahlia takes that archetype to a new level that was even too much for me!

Sam Brand is crude and abrasive, and never truly warmed to him. He is constantly dropped the f-bomb which never sets well with me. While he is redeemed somewhat by the end of the book, in my estimation it takes way too long. His willingness to enmesh himself in the small-town life was all right but was way out of character. 

Another reviewer mentioned that the romance never truly takes off. Sex yes, but not love. I found it very difficult to see this couple having a lasting relationship, so I never became vested in their “love” story. The sexual scenes are steamy, and I can see why some reviewers could enjoy them, but for me I like more emotion and less graphic detail.

Nonetheless, The Wrong Man is an interesting read, and I will probably read future books from Ms. Anders since I have enjoyed several of hers in the past. This book is missing the edge that is normally in her books. I would suggest The Unwanted Wife over this one. Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment