Friday, June 9, 2017

Book Review: A Memoir: A Testimony by Beth durkee

A Memoir. A testimony by Beth Durkee



Publisher & Release: Self-published, June 23, 2017

Genre: Auto-Biography

Book Length:  65 pages

Rating: 3 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

A Consolidation of the first two series volumes. This novella is a duo of short stories from the author's own life when she has felt and seen the influence of God bridging the gap between her own mortal limitations / understanding and His plans for her.

Volume 1:

>>>"Memory of Miracles by Beth Durkee is a must-read true story... The author tells her story of miracles, her journey through joy, sadness, pain, happiness, and implausible belief, and faith in why situations occur when they do and for what reason. This story should inspire others to have faith." --Gracie Bradford for Readers' Favorite


When I was a child, I would sit in the church captivated by the calming resonation of chanted prayers. It provided a great sense of comfort to me—like leafing through a well-read leather-bound book. This was the first inkling I had of the place where my heart belonged—the Catholic Church.

As the years passed, no one would have known that my bright childhood would take a turn towards a seemingly dark and isolated future. There were many times when I skirted death—birthing complications and multiple emergency surgeries stemming from malformed blood vessels in my brain. What had saved me at these moments, were miraculous chance happenings that came at times when I prayed the hardest for them.

I lost a great many things—my balance, my gift for math and sciences, my visual clarity and my short term memory. 
It was a heavy burden that I still carry today. Even so, I knew that it was not the end… God must have had other plans for me. I was still here and there was a child that counted on me. I attained a Bachelor’s degree in a prestigious Wisconsin university and found myself anew. If there is one thing I believe with conviction, it is that everything happens for a reason and that He has a plan for each and every one of us.

Volume 2:
An inspirational story of a real love triangle with some not-so-obvious heavenly guidance.

Following the miracles that saved her young life, Beth graduated high school and continued to her university studies. That is where she met Tracy. Tracy loved lost causes and set Beth up to steal the affections of a gentleman friend, as much a lost cause as she. She dated him for almost a year before she entered a drawing on a whim and received a miracle of heavenly guidance disguised as “luck,” the prize of a month’s free membership to an expensive dating club.

Beth did not expect to win anything, least of all a dating membership. She wanted to marry the man she had been dating for the past year, so she did not want to accept the prize. But her boyfriend insisted she accept so that he could secretly have time to plan his proposal. He did not understand the depth of Beth’s frustration at his apparent unconcern and he certainly did not plan on heaven’s intervention.

Let Beth share her inspirational testimony of how heaven used a series of tiny miracles and unlikely events to guide her through the choice of a lifetime, her choice of a husband. 

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

This is a story of overcoming a life-threatening health issue and the consequences of choices made while a teenager. Thanks goes to Beth Durkee for sending me an advance reading copy to read and review.

I thoroughly enjoyed volume 1 in this faith-inspired book. The events that unfolded in this woman’s life were, at time, electrifying. Unfortunately, volume two did not live up to the first volume.

I did not enjoy Beth’s journey to the husband meant for her. The courtship between her and her two suitors was disjointed and a bit bazaar. I did not gain a sense of why she loved both men and why she was willing to continue dating a man who was clearly not the right choice and a major procrastinator. Nonetheless, they do say life is indeed stranger than fiction, and that was certainly the case with this book.


I did admire this woman’s strong faith in God and how she tried to listen for His guidance. I wish Ms. Durkee the best with her upcoming release. Happy reading!  

No comments:

Post a Comment