Friday, November 28, 2014

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon




From the author of the breathtaking bestsellers Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber, the extraordinary saga continues.

Their passionate encounter happened long ago by whatever measurement Claire Randall took. Two decades before, she had traveled back in time and into the arms of a gallant eighteenth-century Scot named Jamie Fraser. Then she returned to her own century to bear his child, believing him dead in the tragic battle of Culloden. Yet his memory has never lessened its hold on her... and her body still cries out for him in her dreams.

Then Claire discovers that Jamie survived. Torn between returning to him and staying with their daughter in her own era, Claire must choose her destiny. And as time and space come full circle, she must find the courage to face the passion and pain awaiting her...the deadly intrigues raging in a divided Scotland... and the daring voyage into the dark unknown that can reunite—or forever doom—her timeless love.

Published & Release Date: Random House, October 26, 2004

Time and setting: Scotland 1968/1766

Genre: Historical Romance/Epic Adventure

Heat Level: 2

Reviewer rating: 5 Gold Crowns

Reviewed by Vikki

Voyager is spell-binding in the extreme. This one kept me on the edge of my seat for the entire book from start to finish. Even though I have read this book before, it still caught me by surprise. I did not remember it being such an exciting, nail biting read. This book is so much more than just a romance, even though the love between Claire and Jamie is a love of a lifetime in its intensity. I am so glad I decided to read this epic series again.

When Claire finds out Jamie survived the Battle of Culloden, she is faced with an agonizing decision. Does she go back to his era to find him, or stay in hers with her daughter. While Brianna did not take the initial news that Frank was not her father, as she helps to discover what happened to her birth father and grows to understand the great love between her mother and Jamie Fraser, she encourages Claire to go find him. When they determine that if time moves parallel then she should end up twenty years from when she last saw Jamie. Brianna tells her mother, “Then you can go back, Mama,” she said softly. “You can find him.”

Even though it has been twenty years since she returned to her own time, her heart has never forgotten the love they shared. Claire returns to Craigh na Dun, but just when she begins to doubt whether she should go, Brianna convinces her. “We owe it to him, Mama,” she said softly. “Somebody has to find him, and tell him.” Her hand touched my face, briefly. “Tell him I was born.”  Claire takes a step and then another and is swept back through the crack in time to 1766.

When Jamie and Claire see each other for the first time in twenty years they are so stunned to be together it’s as if time stands still. I felt my heart pounding with their hearts. I felt their joy, their fear, their uncertainty. They come together slowly, afraid to believe they are actually together again. Of course all is not smooth for them. They begin a journey to places neither of them had ever imagined going.

There are so many incredible moments in this amazing story, I bookmarked pages and pages of these moments, way too many to even begin to share. I will share this one moment since it deeply touched my soul.

Jamie: “Do ye want me?” he whispered. “Sassenach, will ye take me—and risk the man that I am, for the sake of the man ye knew?”

Claire: “It’s a lot too late to ask that,” I said, and reached to touch his cheek, where the rough beard was starting to show. It was soft under my fingers, like stiff plush. “Because I’ve already risked everything I had. But whoever you are now, Jamie Fraser—yes. Yes, I do want you.”

While I do recommend you start with Outlander first, if you have not read it yet, you will not want to miss this amazing story. Even though all the books in this series are long, they do not read that way. They are extremely fast paced, keeping me reading well into the night. I am confident they will do the same for you. Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment