Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Book Review: The Rake's Redemption by Diane Dario

The Rake’s Redemption by Diane Dario



Publisher & Release Date: Nazzaro/Price Publishing, September 1, 2015

Time and setting: 1816, Derbyshire, England

Genre: Historical Regency Romance

Length: 79 pages

Heat Level: 1 Scorching Hot Flame

Rating: 3.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description:

Rake’s Redemption is a story of love interrupted by a young man’s call to duty…
Pierce, a younger son, realizes that the life of a military officer is far beneath what the woman he loves deserves. Despite her reassurances, he makes a decision to leave her behind, which will haunt him even after he returns from the war.

Caroline, socially ruined by a failed elopement, yearns for a husband and children of her own. Finally deciding to accept the attentions of eligible bachelors, her world is turned upside down once again when her brother in law returns from fighting Napoleon on the peninsula.

When Pierce returns to his childhood home, he and Caroline soon realize they share a sizzling physical attraction. But will the lingering pain of rejection she carries, and his dark memories of battle stand in the way of love?

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

When I found The Rake’s Redemption, I was looking for a short regency romance to read. I discovered this book, and since it was only 79 pages, and the book description attracted me, along with the gorgeous cover, I decided to download it via KU. The book is set in a period of history I love to read, so I looked forward to losing myself in the wonderful regency world.

Pierce Mortimer returns after years of fighting. Five years before, he deserted the woman he loved because he felt unworthy. Lady Caroline Thorpe is a daughter of a duke, and she deserves more than a penniless second son.

Lady Caroline Thorpe has been shunned by society after the aborted elopement with Pierce. When she faces him again upon his return, she tries to deny her love for him, but to no avail. Can she remain aloof when her heart yearns for the only man she has ever loved?

When Pierce sees Caroline again, all the old feelings resurface. Dare he rekindle the love they had five years before, or should he leave her alone?

I liked both characters and was glad to see them find their happy ending. The writing is smooth, and I didn’t find many typos. I did find a few missing words and words out of order, but not enough to take away from my reading experience.

I do feel that there needed to be more introspection by both characters, especially Pierce. His backstory was intriguing, but I needed more disclosure to deepen my involvement with his character. I also would think Caroline, would have had more hesitation in giving into Pierce before she accepted his proposal, especially after what had happened five years ago. The emotional level of the writing remained on the surface. However, I did take into account it was a novella.

Overall, this is an enjoyable read and the pacing is good. If you’re looking for a pleasant story that can be easily read in one sitting, then you will enjoy The Rake’s Redemption. Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment