Monday, August 17, 2020

Book Review with featured author: Everything a Lady is Not by Sawyer North

Everything a Lady is Not by Sawyer North

Publisher & Release: Entangled Publishing, August 17, 2020
Time and setting:  Regency England
Genre: Historical Romance
Length: 213 Pages
Rating: 4.5 Gold Crowns
Book Description: 
Lucy Locket, the long-lost granddaughter of a duchess, has never been a part of Society. One day, she was living a secluded life as the prisoner of a criminal, and the next day she was an heiress in a world she did not even remotely understand. She does not embody the typical qualities of a well-born lady...at all. She can't curtsy, she doesn’t hide her emotions, she’s too clever by far. But in three months, she must marry a suitor with a royally-bestowed title, or she forfeits a fortune—leaving her and the duchess in dire straits.

All Henry Beaumont wants is to prove himself to Society and step outside of his half-brother’s shadow. So when the duchess asks him for a personal favor involving her newly found granddaughter—with a hefty thank you reward at the end—he leaps at the opportunity. 

It seems as if Lucy is trading one prison for another. Henry has now become a permanent fixture as her charming yet iron-fisted taskmaster and tutor in the ways of High Society. Like oil and water, Lucy and Henry spar in an epic battle of wills—and even rapiers. But Lucy’s past and her surprising, undeniable feelings for Henry may doom their undertaking if he declares his love for her...because without a title, he can never be hers.

Buy Links:

Add to Goodreads & BookBub:

Vikki’s Musings
Thanks go to the publisher and Net-Galley for the complimentary copy of Everything a Lady is Not by Sawyer North for the purpose of reading and reviewing by publication. My opinions are my own, and no one has influenced them.

Everything a Lady is Not is a lovely Regency romance that took me to Regency London and the countryside with a new and refreshing twist. The pacing engaged me from the first page and kept me enthralled until the last.

Lucy Lockett, AKA Lady Margaret, is a delightful heroine, and one I became vested in from my first introduction. Her heartbreaking back story touched me and had me wanting her to find her way in the new world she finds herself thrown into with any warning. Mr. North manages to write of her struggle with the emotions a woman would feel when facing an environment so different than what one has experienced in the past. That’s somewhat unexpected since it’s not common for a man to write romance.

Henry Beaumont is a dashing hero with all the characteristics I enjoy most in Regency romance. I loved his willingness to help Lucy learn to navigate the haute ton. I enjoyed his confusion when he develops feelings for Lucy and the pain of believing he must help her find a husband when he wants her for his own.

The romance between the couple is lovely and as a sweetness to it. There’s plenty of the sexual tension between them, an aspect of historical romance I love. Unlike most romances, I feared there might be no happy ending for them since I couldn’t imagine how it could happen. Kudos to Mr. North for building that fear. It added greatly to my enjoyment!

If you like historical romance set in the Regency era with endearing characters and a unique plot, then you will enjoy Everything a Lady is Not as much as I did. This is the first book I’ve read by Mr. North. I plan to go back and read the his first one. Happy reading!

Author Bio:


After self-publishing science fiction novels over a period of years, I made the truly odd move into historical romance. Although romance is a strong thread in nearly all my works, I came to straight-up, nothing-but-romance only after turning fifty. Since then, I am plagued by the question, “What took me so long?” My awakening began rather innocuously when I casually watched the 2015 version of Poldark. Before I knew, I was falling headlong into the abyss of historical romance and read fifteen such novels over a three-month span. However, no number could sufficiently scratch my itch for more, so I did what any writer would do and began constructing stories of my own. In April of 2019, I received my first contract with Entangled Publishing.

Social Media:

No comments:

Post a Comment