Monday, July 6, 2020

Book Review with featured author: Refuge by Willa J. Brand

Refuge: A Mountain Ranch Novel 
by Willa J. Brand


Publisher & Release: Self-Published, May 30, 2020

Time and setting: Present Day, Montana 

Genre: Contemporary, Women’s Fiction

Length: 119 Pages

Heat Level: 1 Sweetheart

Rating: 4 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

Taylor is a mother on the run from an abusive husband, searching for a safe place for she and her young son. Convinced that her possessive spouse is hunting them, she is paranoid, exhausted and virtually penniless. Finding herself stranded in rural Montana, she is taken in by a couple who help her not knowing her past, and she is able to find work on their ranch. She intends on staying only long enough to save the money needed to move on to a large city where she believes they will be safer. But as time passes friendships develop, as does a love interest, and Taylor struggles to hold on to her secrets. Inevitably, her past catches up with her and her worst fears will become reality.

Buy Links:

Available via Kindle Unlimited to read for FREE

Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

Thanks goes to the author for bringing Refuge: A Mountain Ranch Novel by Willa J. Brand to my attention. I borrowed a copy via Kindle Unlimited. My opinions are my own, and no one has influenced them.

Refuge: A Mountain Ranch Novel is the debut novel by Ms. Brand, and I thoroughly enjoyed the story of a woman’s struggle to escape her abusive husband. When her vehicle breaks down in rural Montana, she finds refuge on a ranch. The couple who takes her in, not only offers her a home but employment. 

While at times, Ms. Brand reverts to telling instead of showing, it didn’t interfere with my enjoyment since it was done to move the story along. However, that did inhibit her character development a bit. The pacing is good and kept me engaged from the beginning to the end.

Taylor’s character is under tremendous stress. She’s taken her young son and run away from her abusive husband, so she lives in fear he will find them. Ms. Brand does a fine job of emoting the feelings she is going through. My heart went out to her.

Owen is the hero and lives on the neighboring ranch. He’s an honorable man and offers Taylor friendship at a time in her life she desperately needs it. He exhibits a great deal of patience with her, even though he figures out early on that she has a huge secret.

While there is a strong romantic element in this novel, the central focus of Refuge: A Mountain Ranch Novel is Taylor’s journey to recovering from the abusive and finding a new life. However the relationship between Taylor and Owen is a slowly developing one as they get to know each other. Owen gives her the time she needs to learn to trust him. This story has a happy for now ending.

If you enjoy women’s fiction with engaging characters who will tug at your heart, then you will like Refuge: A Mountain Novel. There is excellent potential in Ms. Brand’s writing, and as she travels the new road into publishing, I’m confident that as she develops her craft, her next novel will be even better. Happy reading!

Author Bio:


Willa J. Brand is a pen name for my alter ego, and although she is much more creative than I am in my daily life, we share many of the same interests.  

I am a wife, mother of four children and three angels, and lover of the outdoors. I have been an avid reader from an early age and lover of all forms of literature since before I can remember. Busy as life is helping out on our family farm and caring for children, I craved some kind of creative outlet, and writing was a natural fit for me.

I love all animals and enjoy working with cattle and spending time with my horses and dogs. In more recent years I have found a love for chickens that I never knew I had, and my flock is constantly growing! 
Social Media:

No comments:

Post a Comment