Friday, July 5, 2019

Book Review: Spring House by Mary Ellen Taylor

Spring House by Mary Ellen Taylor



Publisher & Release: Montlake Romance, July 09, 2019

Time and setting:  Present Day & Early 20thcentury, Virginia

Genre: Women’s Fiction, Historical

Length: 350 Pages

Rating: 4.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

The lives of two women, generations apart, converge in this enthralling novel of love, mystery, memories, and secrets.
Pregnant and still grieving the death of her fiancé, historian Megan Buchanan is forging ahead on a dream project: to restore to its original glory the landmark hunting lodge her own great-great-grandfather built on Virginia’s Eastern Shore. With the help of her fiancé’s caring best friend, it’s sure to draw much-needed tourist revenue to Cape Hudson, a town rich in southern history.
However, it’s Spring House, the caretaker’s cottage on the grounds, that holds the most intriguing history for Megan. In a cache of old letters, she’s drawn into the captivating life of a young woman who embarked on her own dream adventure a century ago. With each one, Megan is swept away into her enthralling world—and all its secrets. But Megan has secrets too.
Now, as one woman’s past unfolds in each revealing letter, Megan will discover more about herself and about the emotional tides of family that can be weathered with those you love and trust the most.

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:



Vikki’s Musings

This is the first book I’ve read by Mary Ellen Taylor. Women’s fiction isn’t a genre that I read a lot, but the book description appealed to me, so when I received an invitation from the published, via Net-Galley, to read and review I accepted. My opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way.

Spring House is an excellent example of women’s fiction and what makes that genre such a satisfying read. I was fascinated by the journey Megan takes as she reads the journals she finds in the house she’s remodeling. The pacing is perfect, varying in intensity when needed and slowing down other times, giving me the chance to savor the story.

Megan Buchanan’s character has complexities which makes her an intriguing character. She’s had a tough time what with the death of her ex-fiancée, days after she caught him with another woman. Her focus is on her job and doing what is best for her baby. I loved her friendship with Lucy, the woman who owns the hunting lodge. They look after each other.

I loved the story that comes out as she reads the journals. Then when she finds Diane’s letters to her sister, I became absorbed in her story as well. Spring House took me from the present to the past with easy, keeping me engaged from the beginning to the end. 

If you enjoy historical women’s fiction with fascinating character and a splash of romance, then you will love Spring House as much as I did. I have already downloaded Winter Cottage and can’t wait to read it. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment