Monday, March 4, 2019

Book Review: Ask me to Stay by Terri Osburn

Ask me to Stay by Terri Osburn



Publisher & Release: Montlake Romance, March 5, 2019

Time and setting:  Present Day, South Carolina

Genre: Historical Romance

Book Length:   269 Pages

Heat Level: 1 Flame

Rating: 5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

Author Liza Teller’s new book is something of a mystery. She’s been hired to ghostwrite the memoir of Ray Wallis, an elderly stranger eager to share a very personal and surprising life story. The moment Liza arrives on beautiful Haven Island off the South Carolina coast, she has to ask: Out of all the semi-successful writers with stalled careers in the world, why her?
Kendall James, the dedicated ex-military man in Ray’s employ, has the same question. Why is this New Yorker in a frilly blue dress so important to Ray? But as protective and suspicious as he is, Kendall can’t help falling for the tempting outsider. And he isn’t falling alone.
As Ray’s life story unfolds, Liza and Kendall’s chemistry ignites. And all of it could be explosive. On an island this small, Liza soon discovers that there isn’t much room to hide—from the secrets of Ray’s past or from her desire for a man unwilling to give her the one thing she truly wants.

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

Terri Osburn has become one of my auto-buy authors. Her books are real with flawed characters I can easily love. When I received an invitation from the publisher, via Net-Galley, to read and review Ask me to Stay, I quickly accepted. My opinions are my own and are not influenced in any way.

As with all Ms. Osburn’s books, I was immediately pulled into the story and couldn’t stop reading until the last word. The pacing is quick and lively without feeling rushed. The writing is emotionally-charged with just the right amount of description.

Liza Teller’s character quickly captured my attention, and I became vested in her right away, even though her flaws her there. I identified with her fear of the dog in the story because I had that as well until my husband insisted, we get one. I quickly fell in love with my Marlee and now love dogs. This happens to Liza as well. 

What appealed to me was Liza’s willingness to redirect her career when her muse grew quiet. Writing a memoir is quite different from writing fiction. She showed great deal of patience with Ray, and her affection for him touched my heart.

Kendall James is a great hero, exhibiting all the characteristics I most admire in a hero. He is very much the protector. He is immediately drawn to Liza in a big way, but of course, he fights that attraction. He is very protective of Ray and is concerned that he wants his memoir written since there are secrets that could cause a huge issue for the elderly man, and Kendall’s family as well. 

The chemistry between Liza and Kendall is apparent from their first meeting. Liza certainly doesn’t want to be attracted to Kendall and fights it in the beginning, but she can’t resist him. I enjoyed their romance and wanted them to find their happy ending.

If you’re looking for a character driven love story with engaging characters and believable plot, then you will love Ask me to Stay as much as I did. This book appears to be a stand-alone, but an excellent one. Happy reading! 


1 comment: