Thursday, March 29, 2018

Book Review: Becker Circle by Addison Brae

Becker Circle by Addison Brae



Publisher & Release: Tirgearr Publishing, March 14, 2018

Time and setting:  Present Day, Dallas

Genre: Contemporary Romance/New Adult/Romantic Suspense

Book Length: 281 pages

Rating: 3.5 Gold Crowns

Book Description: 

New starts mean new rules. Can she triumph through the challenges?

My boyfriend believed I was too gutless to leave. He was dead wrong. I graduated Harvard early and left his hot temper and everyone else behind for Dallas. Determined to make it on my own, I land a second job bartending at the neighborhood pub, smack in the middle of drama central, where almost every jerk in the neighborhood hits on me.

A week into the job, the neighborhood’s very popular drug dealer falls to his death a few feet from the table I’m serving. The cops say suicide, but the hot guitar player in the house band and I suspect foul play, and we intend to prove it. Digging deeper, we’re drawn closer to each other. Then we make a shocking discovery. We know the murderer.

Buy Link:


Add to Goodreads:


Vikki’s Musings

I received an offer from the author to read and review her debut novel, Becker Circle. The book description sounded interesting, so I eagerly accepted her kind invitation. New adult is not one of my favorite genres, but Becker Circle is a fine example and follows what I expect when reading that genre.

The plot is excellent. I enjoyed the characters as well. One thing I noticed, the story could have used smoother transitions from one character/scene to another. At times, it was a bit abrupt, which had me searching to catch up, so the pacing goes from slow to fast quite often.

At times, I really liked Gillian, but some of her ill-advised decisions had me shaking my head. I would have liked to get into her feeling and motivations on a deeper level. Normally, when a book is in first person POV, that comes through. Unfortunately for me, that did not happen. I kept reminding myself that this novel was New adult, so when the romantic relationship took way too long to develop, I tried to be patient.

I did like Jon quite a lot. He certainly has patience with Gillian when she takes off in a dangerous direction. Again, I wish I could have gotten a better sense of his goals, motivation and conflict, but since the author never gives his POV, it was difficult to truly fall in love with him.

The romance in Becker Circle is slim to none. It’s well into the last 25% of the book before I could even figure out who the hero was. This book isn’t truly a romance, even for New Adult. It’s more women’s fiction with a small romantic element. True lovers of romance may grow impatient waiting for something to happen.

Nonetheless, the story is enjoyable, and I’m sure other readers will enjoy Becker Circle. The secondary characters are interesting and added greatly to my overall enjoyment. I congratulate Ms. Brae on her debut novel and wish her well. Happy reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment